Subject: bug#24789: closed (closing #24789)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 23:40:02 +0000

Your bug report

#24789: Changing console renders my system unresponsive

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
24789: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24789
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: closing #24789
From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 01:38:49 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dear,

Because this bug is more than 3 years old, tagged moreinfo and without
any answer by the submitter since 12 weeks, I am closing.

Best regards,
simon

Subject: Changing console renders my system unresponsive
From: Petter <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 13:22:53 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I'm having a pretty dramatic experience changing console, f.ex. 
Ctrl+Alt+F4. My system becomes completely unresponsive. Even 
Alt+SysRq+reisub is unable to persuade my system to perform a gentlemans 
reboot. To recover I must do a hard reboot.

Bringing this up in #guix suggests it's not a common issue.

My setup is:
Libreboot X200
Docking station
External monitor connected to the docking station with DisplayPort.
XFCE
GuixSD (from git, last commit in my repo 
c11933c920dd7b7cdf68e13e6b3718602129210a)

Using DisplayPort I sometimes get the attached output. Other times I get 
a white underscore in the top left corner on a black background.

Now, if I change video output to Laptop monitor and unplug the 
DisplayPort cable I can change consoles. (Only setting video output to 
Laptop is not enough, the cable must go.)

If I use VGA instead, changing consoles seems to work fine. However 
running command "dmesg" tells of a Call Trace that looks much like the 
Call Trace I sometimes see when my system becomes unresponsive 
(attached), though a bit shorter.

---This is dmesg after changing consoles with VGA:---
[18562.847011] WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 358 at 
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_display.c:13094 intel_atomic_c
ommit_tail+0xec9/0x11b0 [i915]
[18562.847013] pipe state doesn't match!
[18562.847014] Modules linked in: appletalk ax25 ipx p8023 p8022 psnap 
llc iTCO_wdt iTCO_vendor_supp
ort snd_hda_codec_conexant snd_hda_codec_generic arc4 coretemp kvm_intel 
kvm irqbypass ath9k i915 ps
mouse drm_kms_helper ath9k_common serio_raw ath9k_hw ath mac80211 
i2c_i801 uvcvideo drm i2c_smbus sn
d_hda_intel videobuf2_vmalloc videobuf2_memops snd_hda_codec 
videobuf2_v4l2 joydev lpc_ich thinkpad_
acpi snd_hda_core i2c_algo_bit fb_sys_fops syscopyarea videobuf2_core 
sysfillrect input_leds snd_hwd
ep cfg80211 sysimgblt videodev snd_pcm usbkbd media nvram usbmouse 
snd_timer e1000e snd soundcore pt
p shpchp fjes video pps_core mac_hid virtio_console virtio_net 
virtio_blk virtio_balloon virtio_pci
virtio virtio_ring isci libsas scsi_transport_sas pata_atiixp pata_acpi 
nvme nvme_core wp512 serpent
_generic xts
[18562.847065]  gf128mul dm_crypt hid_apple hid_generic usbhid hid uas 
usb_storage ahci libahci [las
t unloaded: pcspkr]
[18562.847076] CPU: 0 PID: 358 Comm: X Tainted: G        W I     
4.8.2-gnu #1
[18562.847078] Hardware name: LENOVO 7458WLD/7458WLD, BIOS CBET4000 4.0 
05/18/2015
[18562.847080]  0000000000000286 000000003943eb96 ffff995f6d297a70 
ffffffffa53ede43
[18562.847084]  ffff995f6d297ac0 0000000000000000 ffff995f6d297ab0 
ffffffffa50831e1
[18562.847087]  00003326c089ec22 ffff995f6cd11800 ffff995f6d0d4000 
ffff995f6cd10800
[18562.847090] Call Trace:
[18562.847097]  [<ffffffffa53ede43>] dump_stack+0x63/0x90
[18562.847101]  [<ffffffffa50831e1>] __warn+0xd1/0xf0
[18562.847103]  [<ffffffffa508325f>] warn_slowpath_fmt+0x5f/0x80
[18562.847130]  [<ffffffffc08ab7d9>] 
intel_atomic_commit_tail+0xec9/0x11b0 [i915]
[18562.847133]  [<ffffffffa50c7840>] ? wait_woken+0x80/0x80
[18562.847159]  [<ffffffffc08abec7>] intel_atomic_commit+0x407/0x570 
[i915]
[18562.847191]  [<ffffffffc060f161>] ? drm_atomic_check_only+0x141/0x640 
[drm]
[18562.847206]  [<ffffffffc060fcf7>] ? 
drm_atomic_set_crtc_for_connector+0x97/0x100 [drm]
[18562.847221]  [<ffffffffc060f697>] drm_atomic_commit+0x37/0x60 [drm]
[18562.847234]  [<ffffffffc07fbc22>] 
drm_atomic_helper_set_config+0x82/0xc0 [drm_kms_helper]
[18562.847248]  [<ffffffffc05fdfc5>] 
drm_mode_set_config_internal+0x65/0x110 [drm]
[18562.847262]  [<ffffffffc060279c>] drm_mode_setcrtc+0x1ec/0x580 [drm]
[18562.847274]  [<ffffffffc05f5132>] drm_ioctl+0x202/0x510 [drm]
[18562.847288]  [<ffffffffc06025b0>] ? drm_mode_setplane+0x1c0/0x1c0 
[drm]
[18562.847292]  [<ffffffffa522bb27>] ? __vfs_read+0x37/0x150
[18562.847295]  [<ffffffffa5240cef>] do_vfs_ioctl+0x9f/0x5e0
[18562.847299]  [<ffffffffa5091211>] ? __set_task_blocked+0x41/0xa0
[18562.847301]  [<ffffffffa5093b66>] ? __set_current_blocked+0x36/0x60
[18562.847304]  [<ffffffffa52412a9>] SyS_ioctl+0x79/0x90
[18562.847307]  [<ffffffffa5847d36>] entry_SYSCALL_64_fastpath+0x1e/0xa8
[18562.847309] ---[ end trace f68728a0d3053b57 ]---

I have no idea if this is really a Guix issue or not, maybe it's 
Linux-libre?

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

--
Petter
#guix Petter