Subject: bug#24786: closed (Re: bug#24786: 25.1; Misleading documentation/news for text-quoting-style)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 21:31:02 +0000

Your bug report

#24786: 25.1; Misleading documentation/news for text-quoting-style

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
24786: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24786
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#24786: 25.1; Misleading documentation/news for text-quoting-style
From: Vasilij Schneidermann <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 23:30:31 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Did you look at the state of affairs on the emacs-25 branch?  If not,
> please do: I think at least some of these problems were fixed there.
> If they are still not fixed, or you cannot figure out how to fix them,
> please tell the details: where did you read or saw behavior that
> disallows turning off the conversion of quotes.

Thanks for the hint, I'm on Emacs 25.1 where the behavior is as
described.  As you've pointed out, 25.2 does not take
`text-quoting-style' into account for both `message' and
`format-message', additionally to that the (incompatible) change has
been documented and the docstring updated to clarify that `grave` is the
setting to disable post-processing.

Subject: 25.1; Misleading documentation/news for text-quoting-style
From: Vasilij Schneidermann <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 21:33:12 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I've just fixed a complex Emacs Lisp program using `error' in batch mode
where messages of the "Exception: 'foo'" kind were turned into
"Exception: ‘foo’", leading to a crash in the test rig written in as it
did not expect non-ASCII output.  I find this inacceptable behavior.
Why should printing one thing print something entirely different from
what has been specified?

I've learned that there is a `text-quoting-style' variable that controls
this behavior, however both its docstring and the corresponding news
entry suggest that there is no way to disable the post-processing.  On
top of that they don't mention that the simplest way to make things look
like they previously did is to set it to `grave`.  Is there any reason
this is not documented?  More importantly, if that is the truth, why is
there no flag to disable that post-processing?