Subject: Re: bug#24780: 26.0.50; describe-mode lexical-binding

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2019 14:58:53 +0200

Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]> writes:

> consider it useful if `describe-mode' reports value of var
> `lexical-binding'.

Hm...  That command describes the mode, and whether the current .el file
uses lexical binding or not isn't really tied to the mode, so I think
that sounds a bit confusing.  The user may believe that we're talking
about whether the mode uses lexical binding or not.

> Even displaying it in mode-line might be an option.

That does sound more useful -- I often find jumping back to the start of
the buffer to check.

`emacs-lisp-mode' could display that somewhere in the mode line, I
guess?  But where?  Perhaps among the U:**- thing at the start?  Or in
the mode stuff?

So instead of

(Emacs-Lisp)

we'd get

(Emacs-Lisp Lexical)

when we have lexical binding in the current buffer?  Does anybody have
an opinion here?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no