Subject: Re: bug#24780: 26.0.50; describe-mode lexical-binding

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Jul 2019 12:19:02 -0000

Hello, Lars.

In article <[email-masked]> you wrote:
> Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]> writes:

>> consider it useful if `describe-mode' reports value of var
>> `lexical-binding'.

> Hm...  That command describes the mode, and whether the current .el file
> uses lexical binding or not isn't really tied to the mode, so I think
> that sounds a bit confusing.  The user may believe that we're talking
> about whether the mode uses lexical binding or not.

>> Even displaying it in mode-line might be an option.

> That does sound more useful -- I often find jumping back to the start of
> the buffer to check.

> `emacs-lisp-mode' could display that somewhere in the mode line, I
> guess?  But where?  Perhaps among the U:**- thing at the start?  Or in
> the mode stuff?

> So instead of

> (Emacs-Lisp)

> we'd get

> (Emacs-Lisp Lexical)

> when we have lexical binding in the current buffer?  Does anybody have
> an opinion here?

Yes.  "Lexical" is too long, considering its relative lack of
importance.  Space on the mode line is precious, particularly when
running Follow Mode.  Also, "Lexical" isn't really a minor mode, so
shouldn't look like one.

How about, instead,

    (Emacs-Lisp/L)

or

    (Emacs-Lisp/D)

?  Even that is going to be a nuisance to some people, so it really
needs a user option to turn it off.

> -- 
> (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
>    bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).