Subject: bug#24777: 26.0.50; Incorrect Edebug spec for map-let

From: Gemini Lasswell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 10:31:34 -0700

Edebug throws an error if you try to instrument a use of map-let. To
reproduce, enter the following code into *scratch* (using emacs -Q if
you like):

(require 'map)
(defun map-bug (tag map)
  (map-let ((tag a)
	    ('spam b)
	    bar)
      map
    (message "%s %s %s" a b bar)))

(map-bug 'foo '((foo . 0)
		(bar . 1)
		(spam . 2)))

Evaluating this code normally produces the message "0 2 1" as expected.
But position the cursor inside the definition of map-bug and use C-u C-M-x
and you will receive the error Invalid read syntax: "Expected lambda
expression".

I tried replacing map-let's debug spec with this, and it is working for me:

(debug ((&rest &or symbolp ([form symbolp])) form body))

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50.10 (x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0, NS appkit-1404.47 Version 10.11.6 (Build 15G1004))
 of 2016-10-22 built on rainbow.local
Repository revision: f577b8efec324afc80aa4308efbfa40dcce30bbf
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1404
Recent messages:
next-line: End of buffer
map-bug
0 2 1
"0 2 1"
map-bug
0 2 1
"0 2 1"
0 2 1
"0 2 1"
edebug-syntax-error: Invalid read syntax: "Expected lambda expression"
Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns --disable-ns-self-contained'

Configured features:
JPEG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
NS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  ivy-mode: t
  buffer-face-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  pyvenv-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  nameless-mode: t
  beacon-mode: t
  rainbow-mode: t
  column-enforce-mode: t
  volatile-highlights-mode: t
  region-state-mode: t
  ws-butler-global-mode: t
  ws-butler-mode: t
  show-smartparens-global-mode: t
  show-smartparens-mode: t
  smartparens-global-mode: t
  smartparens-global-strict-mode: t
  smartparens-strict-mode: t
  smartparens-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  modalka-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(visual-regexp nnir smiley gnus-cite gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml
disp-table nndraft nnmh nnfolder utf-7 gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader two-column
iso-transl epa-file mailalias qp shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug
highlight-symbol locate magit-blame magit-stash magit-bisect
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit magit-apply magit-wip
magit-log magit-diff smerge-mode magit-core magit-autorevert
magit-process magit-popup magit-mode magit-git crm magit-section
magit-utils git-commit log-edit message rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived
epg gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
pcvs-util with-editor async-bytecomp async server tabify noutline
outline dash-at-point undo-tree diff bug-reference add-log expand-region
text-mode-expansions python-el-fgallina-expansions er-basic-expansions
expand-region-core expand-region-custom ielm eieio-tests eieio-opt
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe eieio-base ert pp find-func ewoc debug
eieio-compat edebug vc-git diff-mode colir flx dired dired-loaddefs
counsel esh-util swiper ivy delsel ffap face-remap guess-style smtpmail
sendmail mail-utils yasnippet highlight-indentation flymake company
help-fns radix-tree elpy pyvenv elpy-refactor smartparens-python python
tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete
format-spec json map grep compile files-x cus-edit virtualenvwrapper gud
comint nameless lisp-mnt ace-window avy beacon smex ido deft debbugs
soap-client mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode warnings rng-xsd rng-dt
rng-util xsd-regexp xml rainbow-mode ansi-color color s hydra lv
column-enforce-mode etags xref project volatile-highlights region-state
ws-butler smartparens-config smartparens thingatpt dash which-key
modalka quail smart-mode-line-dark-theme smart-mode-line advice
rich-minority whiteboard-theme classic-theme recentf tree-widget
wid-edit autorevert filenotify winner ring time cus-start cus-load
savehist cap-words superword subword use-package diminish bind-key
easy-mmode finder-inf edmacro kmacro info network-stream starttls
url-http tls gnutls mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw nsm subr-x puny url-cache url-auth url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap cl package epg-config url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra
help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face
macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote kqueue
cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 927825 124387)
 (symbols 48 53130 3)
 (miscs 40 2761 4624)
 (strings 32 140638 126210)
 (string-bytes 1 4303454)
 (vectors 16 82643)
 (vector-slots 8 1731955 135032)
 (floats 8 1347 1339)
 (intervals 56 52014 5725)
 (buffers 976 62))