Subject: Re: bug#24774: 26.0.50; Menu display navigation commands

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 12:25:30 +0200

Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 27.07.19 15:18, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>> Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> think it would be a gain if Emacs-lisp menu displays navigation commands.
>> What kind of navigation commands?
>
> Stuff like beginning-of-defun, up-list, forward-sexp

Oh, sexp-based navigation commands.  Yes, I think that's a good idea --
it'll make them more discoverable for new users.  I think both an
"Editing" sub-menu (`kill-sexp' etc) as well as a "Navigation" menu
would be nice.

Eep!

    (bindings--define-key menu-map [separator-format] menu-bar-separator)
    (bindings--define-key menu-map [comment-region]
      '(menu-item "Comment Out Region" comment-region
		  :help "Comment or uncomment each line in the region"
		  :enable mark-active))
    (bindings--define-key menu-map [indent-region]
      '(menu-item "Indent Region" indent-region
		  :help "Indent each nonblank line in the region"
		  :enable mark-active))

(ad nauseam).  elisp-mode.el doesn't use easy-menu, so every creating
menus there is so. much. typing.  And the file is dumped with Emacs, so
I'm guessing requiring easy-menu and doing a rewrite wouldn't be
welcome?

So while I agree that these sub-menus should be added, I think I'll
leave that to somebody else...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no