Subject: Re: bug#24774: 26.0.50; Menu display navigation commands

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2021 14:49:14 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Nope -- Emacs is of different size every time I start it.  Address
>> randomisation leading to different malloc/free/return-to-OS patterns?
>
> I'm not talking about the initial size, I'm talking about the
> difference between the RSS of the two variants: it is sometimes
> positive and sometimes negative.

I'm not sure I understand you here -- there's no initial size in the ps
output, only virtual size and resident set size?  I don't get the
"sometimes positive and sometimes" negative either -- there were three
runs of Emacsen started (with and without the patch), and both
numbers varied in all instances.

>> Anyway, there's no noticeable difference in mean size with or without
>> the patch in these runs, apparently.
>
> Yes, I think so.

The mean RSS sizes were 61436 and 61465, which is not a noticeable
difference.  But I may be misunderstanding what you mean here either.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no