Subject: bug#24774: 26.0.50; Menu display navigation commands

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2021 05:30:39 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Because it's a better, more sensible way to define menus.
>
> But the same argument can be brought up for cl-macs.el and cl-lib.el
> and seq.el and map.el and pcase.el and probably several others.

Yes, of course.

> Where do we stop, if the criterion is "better and more sensible"
> (which are highly subjective judgments)?

I don't think anybody claims that the non-easymenu way of defining menus
is superior?

Our most important code is the one that is in the very core of Emacs,
and it's a shame we don't use more of these libraries there, and instead
open-code stuff badly.

easymenu.el is over-ripe for preloading since it's very hard to do much
in Emacs without it being pulled in anyway -- so you get no space
savings in practice, but just a slower Emacs.

>> (And possibly smaller .elc file, as I said.)
>
> I'd like to see the actual numbers, please.  And also the memory
> footprint before and after loading easymenu.  With the current code, I
> see a 0.25MB increase in the VM size after I load easymenu.elc.

Pre patch:

larsi@xo:~/src/emacs/trunk$ ls -l src/emacs src/emacs.pdmp lisp/progmodes/elisp-mode.elc
-rw-r--r-- 1 larsi larsi    60375 Feb 27 05:09 lisp/progmodes/elisp-mode.elc
-rwxr-xr-x 2 larsi larsi 32583784 Feb 27 05:10 src/emacs
-rw-r--r-- 2 larsi larsi 10630544 Feb 27 05:10 src/emacs.pdmp

Post patch:

larsi@xo:~/src/emacs/trunk$ ls -l src/emacs src/emacs.pdmp lisp/progmodes/elisp-mode.elc
-rw-r--r-- 1 larsi larsi    58798 Feb 27 05:21 lisp/progmodes/elisp-mode.elc
-rwxr-xr-x 2 larsi larsi 32583784 Feb 27 05:21 src/emacs
-rw-r--r-- 2 larsi larsi 10632360 Feb 27 05:21 src/emacs.pdmp

(- (+ 10632360 58798) (+ 10630544 60375)) => 239 bytes.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no