Subject: bug#24772: 26.0.50; homoglyph face is used in Gnus, eww

From: [email-masked] (Óscar Fuentes)
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 21:13:25 +0200

Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Each window can have its own display table.
>
> Yes, that sounds like the right fix, though it'll take some work.
>
> Alternatively, Óscar, perhaps you could give me hints about how to
> change startup--setup-quote-display so that it guesses the right way
> for your setup. I expect this will be simpler.

There is nothing special about my setup. `emacs --daemon' is executed
when my destkop environment (KDE) starts, and that's it.

I guess the problem is reproducible simply with:

$ emacs --daemon -Q
$ emacsclient -c -n
M-x eww http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24772

I could hack startup--setup-quote-display to detect that there is a
graphical environment present, but then the substitution would fail when
a frame is created from a text terminal (while remotely accessing the
server from ssh or from a Linux virtual terminal on the same machine.)

We all agree that the correct way is to use an specific display table
for the characteristics of each terminal. Until the proper fix is
implemented, it is up to you to decide if the feature deserves to be
disabled (I can put the workaround on my config file, so no hurry here.)