Subject: Re: bug#24772: 26.0.50; homoglyph face is used in Gnus, eww

From: Óscar Fuentes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 18:38:37 +0200

Óscar Fuentes <[email-masked]> writes:

> I can seek a good revision if that's important. But while trying to
> reproduce the bug, I noticed that emacs -Q is not affected, nor a
> regular emacs session (that loads my config) but the session I'm running
> as a daemon does show the problem. I think that that is the real
> trigger. Can you try visiting the web page above with a daemonized emacs
> on GNU/Linux? Or can you tell me what data to inspect to know if Emacs
> decided to show those chars on a translated form when the daemon
> started?

Indeed, the problem is that standard-display-table is set by
startup--setup-quote-display when the daemon starts and it is used for
all terminals.

This model seems wrong. An Emacs server can have several terminals. We
need a substitution table (an standard-display-table) for each terminal,
don't we?

BTW, as a quick workaround, setting standard-display-table to nil solves
the problem.