Subject: Re: bug#24767: jgraph comments not recognized any more

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 09:52:28 -0400

> Suppose the jgraph buffer contains:
>
>     he(*llo*)
>
> .  Is this supposed to analyse as the symbol "he" followed by a comment,
> or should it be the symbol "he(*llo*)"?

Good question.  To the extent that src/syntax.c shouldn't be specific to
jgraph-mode, the answer shouldn't depend on the choice made by
Jgraph's author.

> Currently, even Emacs-25 doesn't recognise the "(*llo*)" as a comment.

I think it's good enough to preserve backward compatibility, then.

> It seems to me more likely that the comment should be recognised, but
> I don't know jgraph.

To choose which of the two behavior is desired, the major mode author
can use syntax-propertize to catch this rare corner case anyway.

> Maybe the solution (in master) would be to add the checking of the
> comment flags into this subsidiary loop.

Let's not worry about it.

        Stefan