Subject: bug#24766: 26.0.50: [PATCH] Confusing behaviour for indent-relative-maybe

From: Alex <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 13:27:43 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Alex <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 14:43:57 -0600
>> 
>> What about changing `indent-relative-maybe' and adding an extra argument
>> to `indent-relative'? Since `indent-relative-maybe' has had that
>> docstring for a good 15 years, and the name fits the new behaviour more.
>> 
>> Then in Emacs core we can replace the single instance of it with
>> (indent-relative t). The corresponding diff:
>
> I'd prefer a backward-compatible change, i.e. make the new argument be
> the 2nd one, and keep the current behavior when the 1st arg is non-nil
> and the 2nd is nil or omitted.

That's what I did, but I used a new name for the old argument and the
old name for the new argument. I did so as the old name fits the new
behaviour more.

This is a backward-compatible change for indent-relative, but it does
use the new behaviour for indent-relative-maybe. Is that alright with
you?

> Also, please add the necessary text to the doc string to document the
> new argument.

Sure, I'll do that once the code changes are agreed upon.

> Thanks.