Subject: Re: bug#24764: 25.1.50; Another crash in automatic gc

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 11:06:36 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> When did all those crashes started to happen?

I think they started ~ 1 week ago.

That would correlate with when I had rebuild Emacs.  Before, I had
rebuild Emacs the last time 4 weeks ago (from emacs-25).  Then, one week
ago, I pulled from emacs-25 and rebuilt Emacs.  It could be that the
crashes started exactly then.  It could be that an upgrade of some
library in my system I performed between 4 and 1 week ago could be
relevant.  But these are quite a lot in Debian testing.

FWIW, another nasty bug appeared also ~ 1 week ago, maybe this is not
just coincidence: apparently, whenever Emacs downloads something from
the net, there is a chance of ~ one third that instead of the expected
contents, it gets something different: when I browse pages with eww,
often, instead of the page I expect, eww seems to show a part of the
contents of a different buffer.  But this is not limited to eww: also
when I upgrade packages with `list-packages', Emacs often says that it
can't untar the contents, prompts me to select an encoding, etc.  I
don't have problems with browsing online contents outside of Emacs.

> I think you had better used an older Emacs to run GDB, to avoid losing
> debugging sessions before we make the most use of them.

Ok, then I'll just use the emacs25 package that can now be installed
from Debian unstable for that.

Michael.