Subject: Re: bug#24759: 25.1.50; electric-quote-mode

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2016 11:47:58 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> when I
>> > later save the file Emacs will say "Select coding system (default
>> > chinese-iso-8bit): ". This is hardly user-friendly, even if we improve
>> > Emacs to guess UTF-8, as there may be a long interval between typing `
>> > and saving the buffer.
> This is standard Emacs behavior.

If it is, then the standard behavior is wrong. For starters, Emacs should not 
default to chinese-iso-8bit in a unibyte French-language environment merely 
because the buffer has a curved quote. That can't be what a typical French user 
wants.

The problem can be reproduced without electric-quote mode, as follows:

LC_ALL=fr_FR.iso88591 emacs -Q newfile
C-x 8 [ RET
C-x C-s

More generally, if I type any character that won't be saved, I should be 
notified when I type it, not ages later when I save the buffer. This should be 
done independently of whether electric-quote mode is in use.