Subject: bug#24759: 25.1.50; electric-quote-mode

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2016 10:16:35 +0200

>> So I actually question the need for any test in electric--insertable-p.
>> What bad things, besides the prompt at save-buffer time, will happen
>> if we remove the test, and insert the characters unconditionally?
>
> And if electric-quote-mode wants to be more user-friendly, it could
> ask, upon the first insertion of any electric quote character into a
> buffer, whether the user would like to her buffer-file-coding-system
> switched to UTF-8.

I'd like such a feature, but I'd rather make it general (not specific
to electric-quote-mode).  That is, whenever a buffer gets a character
(whether typed, yanked, electrically inserted, ...) which is not
representable in the current buffer-file-coding-system, Emacs could
offer the user to switch the coding system to UTF-8 (or another one
which can represent all the characters currently present in the
buffer), like happens when the buffer is about to be saved to a file.

-- 
Dani Moncayo