Subject: bug#24759: 25.1.50; electric-quote-mode

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 14:04:56 -0700

On 10/21/2016 12:58 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I think this condition:
>
>    (defun electric--insertable-p (string)
>      (or (not buffer-file-coding-system)
> 	(eq (coding-system-base buffer-file-coding-system) 'undecided)
> 	(not (unencodable-char-position nil nil buffer-file-coding-system
> 					nil string))))
>
> should also accept a coding-system that is the default-value of
> buffer-file-coding-system, because that's how buffers are created.
> When the file is saved, Emacs will ask for a proper encoding, which is
> not a catastrophe.

Wouldn't this lead to problems? If I use electric quoting in a unibyte 
French locale, where I the default is an ISO 8859 encoding and 
buffer-file-coding-system is something like iso-latin-1-unix, when I 
later save the file Emacs will say "Select coding system (default 
chinese-iso-8bit): ". This is hardly user-friendly, even if we improve 
Emacs to guess UTF-8, as there may be a long interval between typing ` 
and saving the buffer.