Subject: bug#24756: closed (Re: bug#24756: 26.0.50; Emacs should not use pselect)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 04:04:02 +0000

Your bug report

#24756: 26.0.50; Emacs should not use pselect

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
24756: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24756
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#24756: 26.0.50; Emacs should not use pselect
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 06:02:56 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]> writes:

> Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]> schrieb am Fr., 21. Okt. 2016 um 17:42 Uhr:
>
>  Emacs uses pselect for IO multiplexing, limiting the number of available
>  file descriptors to FD_SETSIZE.  Rather, epoll/kqueue should be used, if
>  available.
>
> Some good counter-arguments were brought up:
> - pselect is in the POSIX standard, whereas the possible replacements (ppoll/epoll/kqueue) are not.
> - The file descriptor limit should only be hit in pathological cases, e.g. when leaking background processes, and is only a symptom of a bug somewhere else. A higher FD limit would only hide the symptom, but not fix the underlying root cause.
>
> Given that, I'm no longer convinced that switching away from pselect would be a good idea (but I'll leave this bug open for now to provide a space for discussion).

That was three years ago, and no such discussion has taken place here.
If there is a continued need to discuss this, perhaps it's better to
take it to emacs-devel.  I'm therefore closing this bug report.

If anyone disagrees, they should feel free to reopen.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: 26.0.50; Emacs should not use pselect
From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 17:41:21 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Emacs uses pselect for IO multiplexing, limiting the number of available
file descriptors to FD_SETSIZE.  Rather, epoll/kqueue should be used, if
available.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50.10 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2016-10-20 built on localhost
Repository revision: 56f8384bb3f20d55693a3a1db8aa2cf490e6d18e
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --enable-checking
 --enable-check-lisp-object-type'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS FREETYPE XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message subr-x puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 97880 7352)
 (symbols 48 20418 0)
 (miscs 40 331 119)
 (strings 32 18006 4996)
 (string-bytes 1 591250)
 (vectors 16 13824)
 (vector-slots 8 454325 6227)
 (floats 8 183 10)
 (intervals 56 215 0)
 (buffers 976 12)
 (heap 1024 22892 1161))

-- 
Google Germany GmbH
Erika-Mann-Straße 33
80636 München

Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Matthew Scott Sucherman, Paul Terence Manicle

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich.  Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind,
leiten Sie diese bitte nicht weiter, informieren Sie den Absender und löschen
Sie die E-Mail und alle Anhänge.  Vielen Dank.

This e-mail is confidential.  If you are not the right addressee please do not
forward it, please inform the sender, and please erase this e-mail including
any attachments.  Thanks.