Subject: Re: bug#24755: 25.1; Selection continues with no mouse button pressed

From: Mats Palmgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 23:25:01 +0200

On 10/26/2016 10:27 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Fwiw, losing the selection in this situation isn't acceptable to me.
>> I'll certainly stay on emacs < 25 until this is fixed to behave as
>> it used to.
>
> Could you explain a bit more of the background for your use-case.
> E.g. how/why do you end up pressing `control` on the mouse-release?

Sure.  While I'm drag-selecting the region I want, I'm unconsciously
preparing for the operation I intend to do on that region, mostly C-w
to delete it or C-c C-c to comment it out etc, so more often than not
I've already pressed Ctrl before I've finished the selection.  It's
a convenient behavior to not have to time the Ctrl-press exactly, and
it also saves me a fraction of a second to do what I intended. :-)

> E.g. Is it only/always `control` or are there other modifiers
> involved sometimes?

Only Control as far as I'm aware.  I'm on Linux though, so perhaps there
are other modifiers that are frequently used on other platforms, e.g.
OSX (Fn, Option, Cmd) that I'm unaware of.

> As for a workaround, you should be able to get back the old behavior for
> that specific case with
>
>     (global-set-key [C-drag-mouse-1] 'mouse-set-region)

Yes, that seems to work, thanks.

/Mats