Subject: Re: bug#24741: 25.1.50; Buffer encoding corrupted up by 'make' in shell-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 10:14:55 +0300

> From: Simon Peyton Jones <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 19:07:44 +0000
> 
> It's not 'make' per se; for example 'make --version' or 'make boot' (which does nothing) is fine.  The invocation of make that causes the funny quotes to appear invokes Python, if that helps.
> 
> Deeply mysterious.
> 
> If I start a new shell, I get quotes looking nice again.  Could something in the shell environment be affected by invoking python?

There aren't enough data in the report, only hints.  The image posted
by John indicates a Unixy shell is also involved, so it could be some
issue with the shell itself or its environment (I'm guessing the shell
is either a Cygwin or an MSYS2 Bash, which might mean the Emacs setup
of running them involves setting some coding-systems to UTF-8, for
example).

Then there are 'make' and Python, which are somehow related, but it's
unclear how, due to lack of a complete description.

In general, this looks like UTF-8 output by a subprocess gets decoded
using the Windows codepage.  But it's impossible to tell where exactly
is the problem without knowing the details.

IOW, a reproducible recipe, starting from "emacs -Q", and including
only those customizations that are needed for the reproduction, is
necessary to analyze this problem.  It is most likely a problem either
with user customization of the coding-systems, or with some subtle
incompatibility between Cygwin/MSYS programs and the native Windows
build of Emacs.