Subject: bug#24739: 25.1; conf-mode can't handle non escaped single quotes

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2019 11:50:56 +0200

Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]> writes:

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> firstProperty=Hi I'm Diego
>>> secondProperty=I have a stringquote style.
>
>> No font-lock-string-face in sight, and there's no mention of it in the
>> file.  So is this some general font-lock thing that's configured
>> somewhere else?  Anybody know how this stuff works?
>
> font-lock-string-face comes from font-lock-syntactic-face-function,
> because ' has string delimiter syntax in conf-mode (see
> conf-mode-syntax-table).

Hm...  Oh!

    (modify-syntax-entry ?\' "\"" table)

I was searching for ?' and only found the entry in
conf-toml-mode-syntax-table.  I'll remove that superfluous backslash.

> I think it should be possible to make a syntax-propertize rule that
> catches unmatched quotes and sets them to punctuation syntax.  We do
> something similar in sgml-syntax-propertize.

I see.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no