Subject: bug#24737: `guix lint` should not check patch-file-names on inherited sources

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 22:03:52 +0200

Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> skribis:
>>>
>>>> After patching 'notmuch', `guix lint -c patch-file-names` does not pass
>>>> for 'python-notmuch' which inherits the source from 'notmuch'.
>>>
>>> I agree but that’s not quite possible: the “inheritance” relation (which
>>> is really just a copy of a record) is not known at run time.
>>>
>>> So we’d need another trick to guess whether a patch is coming from
>>> elsewhere and should consequently be ignored by ‘lint’.
>>
>> Here is a "RFC" patch that thwarts the warning if the source file name
>> is different from the package name. Not sure how to properly make it
>> part of the procedure, so that the checks are actually skipped as well.
>
> I just realized this approach will skip this check completely, if there
> are no packages that are named the same as origin (e.g. in the case of
> the soon-to-be-added avro, where the source is shared between the
> various avro-{c,python,java} etc packages.)
>
> The best approach is probably to check patch-file-names against
> (origin-actual-file-name (package-source package)), assuming one can
> extract the "base" name of origin-actual-file-name reliably.

(‘origin-actual-file-name’ already returns a basename.)

Could you check whether the patch your proposed works well for some of
the annoying cases we currently have, and also adds those as test cases
in ‘tests/lint.scm’?  (See the manual on how to run the tests (info
"(guix) Running the Test Suite").)

If that works well enough, we should go for it.

The only 100% reliable way to address this, I think, would be to build a
patch to package mapping, and then make sure that for each patch, at
least one of the corresponding packages has a matching name.  The
problem is that ‘lint’ is currently designed to work one package at a
time.

Thanks!

Ludo’.