Subject: bug#2473: usability issues on emacs's describe-mode

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 23:34:21 -0500

>     I see a 3rd way: make the buffer present an expandable list of modes,
>     starting with just 2 items: the current major modes and "minor modes",
>     e.g. similar to what we do in Speedbar, or maybe in Outline Mode
>     (under "Hide Sublevels").  In ASCII art:

>       + Major Mode: RMAIL Mode
>       + Minor Modes

> Using hiding is a good idea -- thanks.

> I think that partcular way would be inconvenient.  Specifically, it
> would be a hassle to initially hide the major mode documentation.
> That is what users most often want to see; making them type a command
> to expose it would be a gratuitous hassle.

> So I suggest putting the partly-hidden minor mode list first,
> followed by the totally visible major mode documentation.

I don't think the difference with what we have now is worth
the trouble.  Basically, it's just a question of shortening the "list of
minor modes" at the beginning of the buffer (e.g. by removing global
minor modes from that list).

        Stefan