Subject: 24.5; unable to get the "~" character on a Swiss-French keyboard under OSX

From: Thierry Jeanneret <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 18:21:40 +0200

Hi There,

I am using the sml-mode/REPL from inside Emacs. When I try to get the "~" character (normally Right Alt-n on my Swiss-French keyboard) I get what looks to be the first command of the history buffer instead.

When I use the REPL from inside a terminal I don't have this problem, the "~" is available as usual, as here.

My config :

MacOS 10.12. 
French language
Swiss-french keyboard
sml/nj from http://www.smlnj.org/dist/working/110.80/ <http://www.smlnj.org/dist/working/110.80/>.
Standard sml-mode, from Stefan Monnier

Stefan gave me a work-around allowing me to get this character when I need it. But this may be a bug so I contact you directly. So did I.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thierry

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.21)
 of 2015-04-10 on builder10-9.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1504
Configured using:
 `configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp''

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Inferior-SML

Minor modes in effect:
  compilation-minor-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
user-error: End of history; no default available

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils sml-mode compile comint ansi-color ring
easymenu smie browse-url package epg-config time-date tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
cocoa ns multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 87441 4028)
 (symbols 48 18593 0)
 (miscs 40 102 163)
 (strings 32 14810 3387)
 (string-bytes 1 404283)
 (vectors 16 10746)
 (vector-slots 8 390642 3931)
 (floats 8 59 436)
 (intervals 56 314 4)
 (buffers 960 15))