Subject: bug#24721: 25.1; Reverse the order of `isearch-message-prefix' prefixes from function advice property

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 04:33:40 +0100

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> When there is multiple advice (from `add-function') of
> `isearch-filter-predicate' that has property `isearch-message-prefix',
> these prefixes are currently shown left to right in the Isearch prompt,
> with the first added being on the left and the last added being on the
> right.
>
> I think this is backwards from what a user expects.  I've reversed the
> order in my own copy, and I think it is more helpful: The first one you
> see is the latest applied.  Entries are added and removed on the left,
> not the right.  The most important such prefix is typically the last
> one applied, and having it on the left makes it more noticeable (IMO).
>
> If you agree, all that's required is changing, in the
> `isearch-message-prefix' code, (concat np prefix) to (concat prefix np).

I think I agree with the reasoning here, and although the issue is
minor, the change also seems easy enough.

My only concern would be that users would find the change confusing or
bothersome, since they are already too used to the current behaviour.
Perhaps the trade-off is worth it.

Does anyone else have an opinion here?

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas