Subject: bug#24720: Performance impact of -no-pie

From: Alex <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 16:13:56 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Alex <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 13:45:47 -0600
>> 
>> > The default switches are known, so they don't need to be spelled out
>> > in the report.  It's the non-default ones that needs to be shown.
>> 
>> I agree that they don't need to be in the report, but just having them
>> in a variable (e.g. system-configuration-options) would make it easier
>> for users to see what the default switches are.
>> 
>> For example, I would have compared system-configuration-options between
>> the slow and fast builds and noticed that the fast build had '-O2' while
>> the slow one didn't, and this report wouldn't have been filed.
>
> You have that information in config.log, so I'm unsure why you
> couldn't find it if you looked for it.

Yes, in this case I could have looked in there, but that file is
overwritten with every ./configure, right? That means there's no
guarantee that what's listed there is for a given Emacs build.

I think that configuration options should be tied to, and viewable
through, Emacs regardless of the value it's set to. If report-emacs-bugs
needs to know when to hide the options, then perhaps a new variable
could be introduced for that purpose.