Subject: Re: bug#24720: Performance impact of -no-pie

From: Alex <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 13:45:47 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Alex <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 22:41:02 -0600
>> Cc: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>> 
>> I can see what the CFLAGS are in src/Makefile, thanks. Though it might
>> be nice if I could see these at the Elisp level even when they're the
>> default.
>
> The default switches are known, so they don't need to be spelled out
> in the report.  It's the non-default ones that needs to be shown.

I agree that they don't need to be in the report, but just having them
in a variable (e.g. system-configuration-options) would make it easier
for users to see what the default switches are.

For example, I would have compared system-configuration-options between
the slow and fast builds and noticed that the fast build had '-O2' while
the slow one didn't, and this report wouldn't have been filed.