Subject: bug#24718: gpgsm takes (too) long (was: bug#24718: emacs25.1 + gnus, opening message gives: epg-error "no usable configuration" CMS, bug#24718: 25.1; (auth-source-search) fails in 25.1.1 for OSX)

From: Gijs Hillenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 09:57:21 +0200

On 20 Oct 2016, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> On Okt 20 2016, Gijs Hillenius <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> On 20 Oct 2016, Daiki Ueno wrote:
>>
>>>> Well, that explains something :-) I did not before have this gpgsm
>>>> installed. Now I have, but oddly, now gnus takes forever to open
>>>> the message.
>>>
>>> S/MIME signature verification with gpgsm could take some time.  If
>>> it takes really too long, a usual suggestion is to gather debug
>>> output with (setq epg-debug t).
>>
>> it takes many minutes.. and I give up waiting, so press C-g
>
> Perhaps it needs to download the CRL, which can take a long time.
> Watch the directory ~/.gnupg/dirmngr-cache.d while it hangs.

Thanks!

On Debian, that dir seems to be called ~/.gnupg/crls.d/

Tried opening one of these messages again: and yesterday gave it more
than 30 minutes before I gave up.  ~/.gnupg/crls.d/ now contains a file
(very-long-number.db).

I go to the next s/mime message, and get that question about ultimate
trust again. I say no, and Gnus displays the message with a (valid)
signature, that is unverified (by me). I did not catch the exact output,
sorry.

This happens only once. The next message, from the same sender, this
waiting (verifying) starts again. Even though now there is a file in
~/.gnupg/crls.d/ ?

Is there a way in which I can disable this checking altogether?
Additionally: if no gpgsm is available on the host, perhaps the result
should or could be made similar to what it does in Emacs24, simply
display the message without verification?