Subject: bug#24709: 26.0.50; Support for Markdown in electric-quote-mode

From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 19:19:12 +0200

When editing a Markdown document with electric-quote-mode enabled, the
experience is not optimal because ` (backtick) in Markdown is a syntax
element (for introducing code spans and blocks), but is converted by
electric-quote-mode.  Also ` and ' inside code spans and blocks continue
to insert curly quotes where they shouldn't.  I propose the following:

- Provide an alternative behavior of electric-quote-mode where ` doesn't
  trigger replacement and ' can insert left or right curly quotes,
  depending on whether it follows a space or similar (newline, beginning
  of buffer, opening parenthesis).

- Provide a way to disable electric-quote-mode for certain regions,
  effectively the inverse of the existing electric-quote-string etc.
  This could be in the form of syntactic elements or text properties.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50.4 (x86_64-apple-darwin16.0.0, NS appkit-1504.00 Version 10.12 (Build 16A323))
 of 2016-10-16 built on p
Repository revision: cf566b46a6cf85c6d54d0b0db80e32ed6ae8d1ca
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1504
Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --enable-checking
 --enable-check-lisp-object-type --without-xml2'

Configured features:
RSVG IMAGEMAGICK DBUS NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS
MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message subr-x puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 206733 10576)
 (symbols 48 20333 0)
 (miscs 40 43 151)
 (strings 32 18363 6592)
 (string-bytes 1 593794)
 (vectors 16 35285)
 (vector-slots 8 676063 5565)
 (floats 8 183 55)
 (intervals 56 207 0)
 (buffers 976 11))