Subject: Re: bug#24684: invalid command-line syntax to herd causes a kernel panic?

From: ng0 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 20:03:13 +0000

Hi,

many thanks again for finding this bug, this looks really important.

Caleb Ristvedt <[email-masked]> writes:

> I should have read the man page before trying to use multiple commands at
> once, but somehow it ended up causing a kernel panic?
>
> Here's what I ran as root in tty0 (I think that's what it's called, it's
> the thing I get to by pressing ctrl + alt + f1):
>
> herd enable ntpd start ntpd
>
> ntpd had been disabled because it kept immediately exiting, which it was
> doing because I had another one running, which I had running because it was
> originally disabled because it couldn't fix time errors of over 1000
> seconds without the -g flag and so immediately exited every time and was
> disabled by shepherd automatically. I don't know how relevant any of that
> is.
>
> On GuixSD
> can't-see-the-version-number-right-now-because-it's-panicked-but-I-think-it's-the-latest-one.

I can replicate this:

on my live-to-crash system in my network, running GuixSD on git commit
f803f775d244b4e3975ab42b9610d12b94f6e958

Screenshot the lazy way, cropped down to 1000xsomething:
https://quitter.se/notice/7658920