Subject: bug#24684: closed (Re: bug#24684: invalid command-line syntax to herd causes a kernel panic?)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 13:53:02 +0000

Your bug report

#24684: invalid command-line syntax to herd causes a kernel panic?

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
24684: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24684
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#24684: invalid command-line syntax to herd causes a kernel panic?
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Caleb Ristvedt <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 15:52:43 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Caleb Ristvedt <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I should have read the man page before trying to use multiple commands at
> once, but somehow it ended up causing a kernel panic?
>
> Here's what I ran as root in tty0 (I think that's what it's called, it's
> the thing I get to by pressing ctrl + alt + f1):
>
> herd enable ntpd start ntpd

Ouch!

Fixed in Shepherd commit 9161450cb800f09ba617f456df9d2ec55ebf242b.
I’d like to prepare a Shepherd release soon with this fix, sounds
worthy…

Thanks for your report!

Ludo’.

Subject: invalid command-line syntax to herd causes a kernel panic?
From: Caleb Ristvedt <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 14:26:04 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I should have read the man page before trying to use multiple commands at
once, but somehow it ended up causing a kernel panic?

Here's what I ran as root in tty0 (I think that's what it's called, it's
the thing I get to by pressing ctrl + alt + f1):

herd enable ntpd start ntpd

ntpd had been disabled because it kept immediately exiting, which it was
doing because I had another one running, which I had running because it was
originally disabled because it couldn't fix time errors of over 1000
seconds without the -g flag and so immediately exited every time and was
disabled by shepherd automatically. I don't know how relevant any of that
is.

On GuixSD
can't-see-the-version-number-right-now-because-it's-panicked-but-I-think-it's-the-latest-one.