Subject: 26.0.50; Misleading suggestion in Ediff Info manual

From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 17:54:50 +0200

The Ediff Info manual, in section 7.1 "Hooks", says:

‘ediff-cleanup-hook’
     This hook is run just before ‘ediff-quit-hook’.  This is a good
     place to do various cleanups, such as deleting the variant buffers.
     Ediff provides a function, ‘ediff-janitor’, as one such possible
     hook, which you can add to ‘ediff-cleanup-hook’ with ‘add-hook’.

However, ediff-cleanup-hook is a normal hook, and ediff-janitor is a
function taking two required arguments, so it cannot be added to
ediff-cleanup-hook.  The manual should e.g. state that a lambda wrapping
ediff-janitor can be added to ediff-cleanup-hook, but not ediff-janitor
itself.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2016-10-12 built on localhost
Repository revision: 59c5f36acfcbec4f6119996f7b80383bf86125d4
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Composing main Info directory...done
Mark saved where search started
Quit
Loading ediff-util...done
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.

Entering debugger...
Back to top level

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --enable-checking
 --enable-check-lisp-object-type'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS FREETYPE XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message subr-x puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils debug ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff
ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util cl-extra thingatpt help-fns
radix-tree help-mode cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib misearch multi-isearch
info easymenu time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 112819 5354)
 (symbols 48 21981 0)
 (miscs 40 371 351)
 (strings 32 23152 4562)
 (string-bytes 1 795806)
 (vectors 16 16192)
 (vector-slots 8 479526 4745)
 (floats 8 200 219)
 (intervals 56 748 1479)
 (buffers 976 15)
 (heap 1024 23921 1152))

-- 
Google Germany GmbH
Erika-Mann-Straße 33
80636 München

Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Matthew Scott Sucherman, Paul Terence Manicle

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich.  Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind,
leiten Sie diese bitte nicht weiter, informieren Sie den Absender und löschen
Sie die E-Mail und alle Anhänge.  Vielen Dank.

This e-mail is confidential.  If you are not the right addressee please do not
forward it, please inform the sender, and please erase this e-mail including
any attachments.  Thanks.