Subject: Re: bug#24671: java-mode confused by non-trivial generics

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Jul 2019 14:14:24 -0000

Hello, Lars

In article <[email-masked]> you wrote:
> Daniel Colascione <[email-masked]> writes:

>> For the following code
>>
>>     class Foo {
>>         public List<Class<? extends Bar<? extends Qux>>> getBars() {
>>             return null;
>>         }
>>     }
>>
>> I expect the `<' and `>' to be assigned paren syntax, but they are not. Emacs
>> is latest master.

> When I try this in Emacs 27, the < and > characters are fontied the same
> way as the parentheses in the example, so I'm guessing that this has
> been fixed and is closing this bug report.  If you're still seeing this
> problem, please reopen.

I think the bug should be reopened: it was about the syntax on < and >
rather than the fontification.

If you put point in front of any of the <s, you should be able to
execute C-M-f, moving to the matching >.

This doesn't happen in the current scenario because the closing >s,
written without intervening spaces, get confused with the Java shift
right operator ">>>".  If you insert a space into that triplet, the
syntax comes back again.

This will be easy to fix.

> -- 
> (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
>    bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).