Subject: bug#24657: Autoconf macro GUILE_PROGS only looks for guile without version suffix even if given version - patch included

From: Freja Nordsiek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 23:31:46 +0100

Andy,

Your modifications to the patch make it a bit better since it will
handle the case where guile 2.2 gets put under the name guile-2 or
guile2. GIven how much more similar guile 2.1.x (and eventually 2.2.x)
are to guile 2.0.x than guile 2.0.x is to guile 1.8.x, this is not too
unlikely on distribution or another at some point.

Only one potential issue. On the off chance that the guile program
found by AC_PATH_PROGS is in the current directory and the absolute
path is not given nor a prefix of "./", it might be better to replace

    _guile_suffix=`echo "$GUILE" | sed -e 's,^.*/guile\(.*\)$,\1,'`

with

    _guile_suffix=`basename "$GUILE" | sed -e 's,^.*guile\(.*\)$,\1,'`

which replaces echo with basename to remove all the directory
information and then '/' is not looked for in the sed script anymore.

Freja

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 10:43 AM, Andy Wingo <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi Freja,
>
> Thanks for this bug report and the patch, and sorry for the delay :)
>
> On Mon 10 Oct 2016 11:45, Freja Nordsiek <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> While trying to build a package that uses guile with autotools, I
>> found a problem in the provided GUILE_PROGS macro.
>>
>> The macro searches for the executables guile, guild, guile-config, and
>> guile-tools. The problem is that even if the macro is given the
>> version, it only looks for guile, guild, etc. with no version suffix.
>
> Applied your patch with some small modifications; attached.  Let me know
> if it works for you!
>
> Andy
>