Subject: bug#24649: 24.5; Why no standard error for "Trailing garbage following expression"?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 10:16:04 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > +	    xsignal1 (Qinvalid_read_syntax,
>> > +		      build_string ("Trailing garbage following expression"));
>> 
>> There weren't any comments, so I've now applied this.  If somebody has a
>> better idea for the error signal, please amend.
>
> Thanks, but this change needs to be reflected in the ELisp manual,
> where currently invalid-read-syntax is documented for a different use
> case.

Let's see...  Qargs_out_of_range would be inappropriate...  And
Qwrong_type_argument...  Perhaps the closest one of the predefined
errors would be Qend_of_file?

Or we could have a new one.  `garbage-follows-expression'?  That's
pretty explicit.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no