Subject: bug#24641: 26.0.50; let-alist: Incorrect byte-compile warning about unused lexical variable

From: Philipp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2016 14:43:03 +0200

$ cat /tmp/letalist.el 
;; -*- lexical-binding: t; -*-
(print
 (let-alist '((outer . ((inner . value))))
   (let-alist .outer .inner)))
   
$ emacs -Q -batch -f batch-byte-compile /tmp/letalist.el 

In toplevel form:
/tmp/letalist.el:2:1:Warning: Unused lexical variable ‘\.inner’

This warning is incorrect because '.inner' is used in the inner
let-alist form.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2016-10-07 built on localhost
Repository revision: 1686a0cde3d6adced3b5393945d6a9ab71b4a3c9
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11702000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS FREETYPE XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message subr-x puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 97276 8627)
 (symbols 48 20242 0)
 (miscs 40 330 118)
 (strings 32 17820 3260)
 (string-bytes 1 578593)
 (vectors 16 13702)
 (vector-slots 8 448689 6242)
 (floats 8 181 14)
 (intervals 56 190 0)
 (buffers 976 11)
 (heap 1024 46517 1112))