Subject: 24.5; Line numbers disappear on empty lines if fill column indicator enabled and the indicator is outside the visible buffer area

From: Kristóf Katus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 16:50:14 +0200

Reproduction Guide

1. Start a graphical emacs:
$ emacs -Q

2. Open a new buffer, type some text leaving some lines blank

3. Enable linum-mode:
M-x linum-mode

4. Fetch, then load fill-column-indicator.el by:
M-x load-file

5. Enable fci-mode:
M-x fci-mode

6. Decrease the window width, so that the fill column indicator is not shown

Observed behaviour

On all the empty lines, the line numbers disappear -- except on that empty
line where your cursor might rest.

Expected behaviour

Line numbers should be shown on all lines, including empty lines
independent of the visibility of the fill column indicator.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2015-05-16 on KAEL
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.3.9600
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/z/emacs --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --target=x86_64-w64-mingw32 --build=x86_64-w64-mingw32 --with-wide-int
 --with-jpeg --with-xpm --with-png --with-tiff --with-rsvg --with-xml2
 --with-gnutls --with-sound=yes --with-file-notification=yes
 --without-dbus --without-imagemagick 'CFLAGS=-O3 -fomit-frame-pointer
 -g0 -pipe' 'LDFLAGS=-static-libgcc -static-libstdc++ -static -s
 -Wl,-s''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: HUN
  locale-coding-system: cp1250

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  fci-mode: t
  linum-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Linum mode enabled
Loading
f:/home/katusk/.emacs.d/elpa/fill-column-indicator-20151030.1233/fill-column-indicator.el
(source)...done
Fci mode enabled

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils fill-column-indicator easy-mmode
linum time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win
w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
w32notify w32 multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 77152 5390)
 (symbols 56 17633 0)
 (miscs 48 129 83)
 (strings 32 11181 3730)
 (string-bytes 1 288751)
 (vectors 16 9069)
 (vector-slots 8 378181 17509)
 (floats 8 58 311)
 (intervals 56 273 26)
 (buffers 960 11))