Subject: Re: bug#24625: 26.0.50; Local variables list at beginning of a file

From: Marco Wahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 11:42:19 +0100

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> [email-masked] writes:
>
>> This a feature request.
>>
>> Feature: A local variables list can be put near the beginning of a
>> file
>> and gets interpreted when the file gets loaded.  (Completely
>> analogue to
>> the behavior of the local variables list near the bottom of a file.)
>
> Thank you for suggesting this feature.
>
> I think this would unduly slow down opening of files, and the benefit
> is not clear since we also have the "-*- ... -*-" line.  I would
> therefore suggest to not implement this feature.
>
> Does anyone else have an opinion here?

For people who want to keep the first line short this feature could
help.

Possibly of interest:

My motivation asking for this feature was local variables at the bottom
of outline/Org files.  In my experience for those kind of files, which
typically consist of some trees, it is rather difficult to keep
something (here the local variables) at the bottom.  Too easily a
further tree gets appended at the end of the file or the trees in the
file get sorted.  On the other hand the top of those kind of files stays
relatively static.