Subject: bug#24624: 24.4; Faulty info link -> definition of nth

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 09:09:57 +0200

> It's not up to Emacs, it's up to Texinfo developers.  We here had no
 > say in this matter.  Once Texinfo switched to makeinfo the Perl
 > script, it got much slower.  (If you build Texinfo locally, you can
 > build it with Perl extensions in C, which makes it about 40% faster,
 > but that's still 10 times slower than the C version.)

It already became much slower before that switch.  No wonder it takes me
years to write documentation like that on side windows ;-)

 >>   > Yes, we changed the code in Emacs's Info reader to be compatible with
 >>   > how the new Texinfo calculates positions in tag tables.  There was no
 >>   > other reasonable solution.
 >>
 >> It would have been good to read something about this in NEWS or
 >> somewhere else.
 >
 > You mean, in Texinfo NEWS?

Emacs NEWS should have said that "we changed the code in Emacs's Info
reader to be compatible with how the new Texinfo calculates positions in
tag tables".  But since I am probably the only other person to edit
texinfo files on Windows, a PM might have been sufficient.

martin