Subject: Re: bug#24624: 24.4; Faulty info link -> definition of nth

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2016 18:27:29 +0200

> You are still using an old makeinfo, do you?  From Texinfo 4.13,
 > perhaps?

I am using Texinfo 4.13.

 > If so, you need to run your Info files through 'flip' or
 > some other command that removes the CR characters from CR-LF pairs at
 > EOL.  Or start using the (slower) makeinfo from Texinfo 6.x, which
 > produces Unix-style Info files by default, even on Windows.

Making info here is already so slow that neither of these is an option
for me.  In the good old days it was a pure pleasure to work with
makeinfo - maybe due to the fact that the Elisp manual was split in
those days or, because on Windows a much simpler build script was used.
After a text change, I could produce the corresponding updated and
reverted *info* buffer practically on-the-fly.  Nowadays it takes me
half a minute to do so.  For me it's the worst pain that happened in the
recent development of Emacs.

 > Yes, we changed the code in Emacs's Info reader to be compatible with
 > how the new Texinfo calculates positions in tag tables.  There was no
 > other reasonable solution.

It would have been good to read something about this in NEWS or
somewhere else.  I already "fixed" at least one such link in the release
version ...

 >> BTW something completely irrational is happening with edebug here.  Once
 >> I instrumented a function in info.el I can't `eval-buffer' the info.el
 >> buffer unless I kill the *info* buffer first.  Otherwise, I immediately
 >> reenter the debugger.
 >
 > Is this a new problem?  In any case, it should be a separate
 > discussion or bug report.

I can't reproduce it with emacs -Q so it might as well be related to my
setup.

Thanks for the information, martin