Subject: bug#24620: 26.0.50; In dired: 'dired-do-compress-to' fails when filenames cotains space characters

From: José L. Doménech<[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2016 09:06:29 +0200

1) C-x d      ;; Open a directory in dired mode

2)            ;; Mark any file/s whose filenames contains space
characters

3) c          ;; run dired-do-compress-to

4) kk.tar.gz  ;; Enter a name for the file output (the output type
seems irrelevant)

5) g          ;; refresh dired

Check that a 45 bytes size file has been created. Note that it is not a
valid compressed file ;).

Thankful for your amazing work:

José L. Doménech

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50.2 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.30)
 of 2016-10-03 built on jose-ThinkPad-Edge-E330
Repository revision: 8cd975cebd588d5435fa2b333dba6c526e602933
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11803000
System Description:	Linux Mint 18 Sarah

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Compressed 1 file(s) to rsefsosf.webm.tar.gz

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: es_ES.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message subr-x puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode cconv format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cl-seq dired-aux cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
dired dired-loaddefs time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 101053 10054)
 (symbols 48 20412 0)
 (miscs 40 44 136)
 (strings 32 17874 3826)
 (string-bytes 1 567807)
 (vectors 16 13601)
 (vector-slots 8 448903 4223)
 (floats 8 184 163)
 (intervals 56 281 0)
 (buffers 976 13)
 (heap 1024 20269 1028))