Subject: bug#24594: 24.5; `variable-pitch-mode': accept FACE arg instead of hardcoding the face

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 17:12:24 +0300

> Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 06:36:03 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> > The variable-pitch face is a very general face: it stands for a face
> > using any variable-pitch font, of which there are gazillions.
> 
> A single face.

Yes, a mode that was made for using a single face.  There's nothing
wrong about that.

> The face is hard-coded in the command.  You cannot use the command
> with a different face.  Being able to customize a face is something
> else altogether.

Yes, I understood that the first time.  Reiterating this doesn't help
in any way.

> And no, there is nothing special about face `variable-pitch'.  In
> particular, there is nothing that prevents you from customizing it
> to a fixed-pitch face.

Of course.  But why would one want to do that?  It's like customizing
a color named "black" to have the same appearance as "white".

Anyway, looks like one more of those arguments that go nowhere, so I'm
out.