Subject: bug#2459: 22.2.1: global-font-lock-mode does not turn off colors:ido.el, minibuffer prompt

From: Jari Aalto <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 16:16:14 +0200

> "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:
> The use case seems to be only to turn off *all* highlighting. We should find a
> good way to handle that particular use case. Equating all highlighting to
> font-lock highlighting, just to respond to this use case, would be using a
> sledge hammer to kill a fly - a step backward.

It's natural that people have years trained themselves to use:

  M-x global-font-lock-mode

to turn on and off colors. Globally. From user's M-x perspective, the
font-lock is synonym for controlling the "colors", whether in technical
level the implementation and use of font-lock may differ.

> Richard M Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:
> This sort of problem is easy to fix; we already have a mechanism for
> it.  The mode should set `font-lock-face' properties instead of `face'
> properties.  That will make the right thing happen.

That'd be welcomed

Thanks,
Jari