Subject: Re: bug#24585: 25.1; avoid hack in ggtags.el to run compilation-auto-jump timer

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2020 14:32:57 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> This was too long ago and got moved to write-only swap space, and
>>> I haven't had time to dig into it now to recover the lost context, but
>>> I can see a potential case where it makes a difference, which is if the
>>> timer is set multiple times before it gets a chance to be run: with the
>>> new code only one of the timers will actually be executed.
>>
>> That's true; I didn't think about that.  But wouldn't a more obvious fix
>> be to cancel the previous timer, if there's already a timer in-flight?
>
> Could be.  I don't even know if this effect was the one intended in
> any case.

Me neither.  I've now applied the

+  (when (buffer-live-p buffer)

part of the patch, but not the rest.  Perhaps Leo can chime in with that
the patch was trying to achieve.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no