Subject: bug#24584: closed (Re: bug#24584: 25.1; Without fringe-mode, search highlighting on long lines breaks)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2016 10:48:02 +0000

Your bug report

#24584: 25.1; Without fringe-mode, search highlighting on long lines breaks

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
24584: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24584
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#24584: 25.1; Without fringe-mode, search highlighting on long lines breaks
From: Dima Kogan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2016 03:46:59 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli fixed it in 197a6bcc20cecba40b56ae478d42a33eb1e19d57

Subject: 25.1; Without fringe-mode, search highlighting on long lines breaks
From: Dima Kogan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2016 14:05:36 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi.

I just found an unexpected interaction of fringe-mode and isearch. Let's
say you have the attached file (composed of random dictionary words on
two very long lines) called 'txt'. Then you

1. emacs -Q /tmp/txt
2. M-x toggle-truncate-lines
3. M-> (to go to end of buffer)
4. C-r threatened

As you type "threatened" letter by letter, you see the search jump to
the match, and the match is highlighted. This is correct. Now do

5. M-x fringe-mode no-fringes
6. M-> (to go to end of buffer)
7. C-r threatened

When you type "threatened" now, the behavior is correct through "th",
but when you hit "r", the buffer scrolls back to the beginning of the
line, and you can't see the match anymore.

I haven't done any debugging other than figuring out the exact thing
that makes it break: turning off fringe mode. If the exact cause isn't
obvious to somebody here, I'll debug it myself in a bit.