Subject: Re: bug#24565: 25.1: info freezes on some elements

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 18:13:13 +0300

> From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 10:30:26 +0300
> 
> 1. emacs -Q
> 2. (info "(elisp) Association Lists")
> 3. Hold down next-line.
> 
> What should happen: the moment you see the arrow symbol in some 
> examples, you should get a freeze for a couple of seconds. Sexps in the 
> beggining of that page, without the arrow do not seem to trigger the 
> freeze. It also seems like those freezes are accumulative - that is 
> freeze for a page with three arrows is three times as long as a freeze 
> for a single arrow.
> 
> Happens on Windows.

Sounds like Emacs is looking for a suitable font to display these
symbols.  That's normal, and happens only once in a session for each
symbol.  I see this on my systems, although the "accumulation" doesn't
happen here: the short delay is independent of the number of identical
symbols on the screenful Emacs is about to display.

> This bug happens both on master and 25.1, with official binaries. This 
> does not happen in 24.5.

Emacs 25.1 changed the font used for these symbols, but otherwise I
see the same delay in Emacs 24.5.

Bottom line, I don't think it's a bug.