Subject: bug#24560: 25.1; With `--font 7x13', wrong font is used for Unicode characters

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2019 20:05:13 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> One more detail.  When inserting CENT SIGN, I get this warning:
>> 
>> (emacs:29060): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 17:12:48.023:
>> gtk_distribute_natural_allocation: assertion 'extra_space >= 0'
>> failed
>> 
>> If I use a different font, I don't get that warning.
>
> If someone knows, or cn find out, what this means, please tell.

There's something about the same warning in the PROBLEMS file, although
I can't see the frame changing size when inserting the CENT SIGN
character.

So perhaps it's a separate issue?

----

*** Emacs built with GTK+ toolkit can unexpectedly widen frames

This resizing takes place when a frame is not wide enough to accommodate
its entire menu bar.  Typically, it occurs when switching buffers or
changing a buffer's major mode and the new mode adds entries to the menu
bar.  The frame is then widened by the window manager so that the menu
bar is fully shown.  Subsequently switching to another buffer or
changing the buffer's mode will not shrink the frame back to its
previous width.  The height of the frame remains unaltered.  Apparently,
the failure is also dependent on the chosen font.

The resizing is usually accompanied by console output like

Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_distribute_natural_allocation: assertion 'extra_space >= 0' failed

It's not clear whether the GTK version used has any impact on the
occurrence of the failure.  So far, the failure has been observed with
GTK+ versions 3.4.2, 3.14.5 and 3.18.7.  However, another 3.4.2 build
does not exhibit the bug.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no