Subject: Re: bug#24554: 24.5; kill-ring-save fails to give visual feedback on first run, but does on the second

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 17:46:39 +0300

> Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 18:33:59 -0400
> Cc: [email-masked],
>     [email-masked], Daniel Barrett <[email-masked]>
> From: Daniel Barrett <[email-masked]>
> 
> So... any idea where I might find where these resources are set? I
> don't have an .Xdefaults or .Xresources file in my home directory.

AFAIR, it could be in any number of places, because the X startup
scripts could source any file Ubuntu wants them to.  The classical
places are as below:

  . /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults
  . files in the directory pointed to by the XAPPLRESDIR environment
    variable
  . a file in your home directory named literally "Emacs"
  . explicit arguments to xrdb invocation when the X session starts
  . a file pointed to by the XENVIRONMENT environment variable

Also look inside the file .xinitrc, if you have it, and in
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, for possible clues.

Once again, Ubuntu could (and probably did) hack the heck out of this
stuff by providing their own resources somewhere and arranging for the
X session to source them at startup.  That's Ubuntu-specific, so I
have no idea, as I don't use that system actively.  Various Google
hits seem to indicate that the /etc/X11/Xsession.d directory might
hold at least some of the relevant stuff.  The Xsession man page might
help.

> I'd like to track it down and file an Ubuntu bug report if
> necessary.

That is probably a good idea anyway.