Subject: Re: bug#24554: 24.5; kill-ring-save fails to give visual feedback on first run, but does on the second

From: Daniel Barrett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 18:33:59 -0400

On September 27, 2016, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>If you invoke "emacs -Q" n GUI mode and then type
>  M-x list-faces-display RET
>does the 'region' face has a distinct background color?

Holy crap, this revealed the problem. The "region" background color is
identical to the Emacs window's background color. So the region color
is not visible. Thank you for providing the clue to solve the mystery.

So, I can use "set-face-background" to fix the issue for myself. Now
to track it down in Ubuntu. It appears to be related to X resources,
because the problem occurs when I run:

  $ emacs -q --no-site-file --no-splash

but not when I run:

  $ emacs -Q

(and -Q skips processing of X resources, according to the emacs
manpage).  Sure enough, the resource named "*background" has value
#eff0f1 (according to the "appres" Linux command), which is also the
region color.

So... any idea where I might find where these resources are set? I
don't have an .Xdefaults or .Xresources file in my home directory. I'd
like to track it down and file an Ubuntu bug report if necessary.

--
Dan Barrett
[email-masked]