Subject: Re: bug#24554: 24.5; kill-ring-save fails to give visual feedback on first run, but does on the second

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 17:45:45 +0300

> Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 08:39:09 -0400
> From: Daniel Barrett <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Daniel Barrett <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> On September 27, 2016, [email-masked] wrote:
> >Are you saying that region highlighting doesn't work in Emacs 24.5 in
> >graphical mode?
> 
> Correct.

In that case, I cannot reproduce it here.  Region highlighting does
work for me in both text and GUI mode.

> (And in addition, kill-ring-save doesn't blink the point and mark
> on the first try, but it does on the second, third, etc.)

It doesn't blink on the first try because the region is highlighted,
as far as Emacs is concerned.  So the fact you don't see the highlight
is the only problem in this case, and that problem is specific to your
system, somehow.

If you invoke "emacs -Q" n GUI mode and then type

  M-x list-faces-display RET

does the 'region' face has a distinct background color?