Subject: bug#24545: closed (Re: bug#24545: emacs suddenly dying)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 20:33:05 +0000

Your bug report

#24545: emacs suddenly dying

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
24545: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24545
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#24545: emacs suddenly dying
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 15:31:59 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Please attach GDB to the Emacs daemon as soon as you start it, then
> run your sessions as usual, and when Emacs crashes, produce a
> backtrace and post it here.  That will provide some initial
> information about the crash, and we can take it from there.
>
> Also, please post the details of your build as collected by
> "M-x report-emacs-bug RET".

No response in 2 months, closing.

Subject: emacs suddenly dying
From: Vitomir Kovanovic <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 21:52:25 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Since installing 25.1 version emacs died a couple of times, each time
without an apparent reason. I start emacs as a daemon, and connect with
the emacs client.

At the time of this last incident, I had an ESS session running with
several R threads running some analysis.

Here is what is being stored in system journal. (I'm using i3 window
manager on Arch Linux 64bit, fully updated).  This NEVER happened before so
it is definitely something related to the latest version.

If you need some additional info, let me know.

Best,
Vitomir Kovanovic

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sep 25 21:41:39 valinor systemd-coredump[13424]: Process 27940 (emacs) of
user 1000 dumped core.

                                                 Stack trace of thread
27940:
                                                 #0  0x00007fbb38849783 n/a
(libgdk-3.so.0)
                                                 #1  0x00007fbb388767e8 n/a
(libgdk-3.so.0)
                                                 #2  0x00007fbb377db5b9
g_main_context_prepare (libglib-2.0.so.0)
                                                 #3  0x00007fbb377dbf8b n/a
(libglib-2.0.so.0)
                                                 #4  0x00007fbb377dc127
g_main_context_pending (libglib-2.0.so.0)
                                                 #5  0x00007fbb38d11add
gtk_events_pending (libgtk-3.so.0)
                                                 #6  0x00000000004bffc7 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #7  0x00000000004f59b1 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #8  0x00000000004f5fc5 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #9  0x000000000056d745 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #10 0x000000000056da30 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #11 0x00000000005324f1 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #12 0x0000000000534651 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #13 0x000000000051c4d1 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #14 0x000000000051d860 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #15 0x0000000000523602 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #16 0x00000000004ee7b0 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #17 0x00000000004ee965 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #18 0x000000000050654e n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #19 0x0000000000506773 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #20 0x00000000005067df n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #21 0x00007fbb3327c080
__restore_rt (libpthread.so.0)
                                                 #22 0x00007fbb377d7f00
g_list_find (libglib-2.0.so.0)
                                                 #23 0x00007fbb38849803 n/a
(libgdk-3.so.0)
                                                 #24 0x00007fbb3885eb04 n/a
(libgdk-3.so.0)
                                                 #25 0x00007fbb388769e9 n/a
(libgdk-3.so.0)
                                                 #26 0x00007fbb38845aa9
gdk_display_get_event (libgdk-3.so.0)
                                                 #27 0x00007fbb38876712 n/a
(libgdk-3.so.0)
                                                 #28 0x00007fbb377dbe67
g_main_context_dispatch (libglib-2.0.so.0)
                                                 #29 0x00007fbb377dc0d0 n/a
(libglib-2.0.so.0)
                                                 #30 0x00007fbb377dc17c
g_main_context_iteration (libglib-2.0.so.0)
                                                 #31 0x00007fbb38d11b05
gtk_main_iteration (libgtk-3.so.0)
                                                 #32 0x00000000004bffa2 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #33 0x00000000004f59b1 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #34 0x00000000004f5fc5 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #35 0x00000000005c39ca n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #36 0x000000000045b531 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #37 0x000000000044dbc9 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #38 0x0000000000450762 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #39 0x00000000004643de n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #40 0x00000000004674db n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #41 0x000000000056053e n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #42 0x0000000000431a5d n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #43 0x00000000004542a9 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #44 0x0000000000456155 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #45 0x00000000004f8b2a n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #46 0x00000000004fb560 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #47 0x00000000004fd116 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #48 0x00000000005604b2 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #49 0x00000000004eedec n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #50 0x0000000000560453 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #51 0x00000000004eeda9 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #52 0x00000000004f3537 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #53 0x00000000004f3878 n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #54 0x0000000000418a4e n/a
(emacs-25.1)
                                                 #55 0x00007fbb32eed291
__libc_start_main (libc.so.6)
                                                 #56 0x00000000004195da n/a
(emacs-25.1)

                                                 Stack trace of thread
28161:
                                                 #0  0x00007fbb32fac48d
poll (libc.so.6)
                                                 #1  0x00007fbb377dc066 n/a
(libglib-2.0.so.0)
                                                 #2  0x00007fbb377dc17c
g_main_context_iteration (libglib-2.0.so.0)
                                                 #3  0x00007fbb2828c4bd n/a
(libdconfsettings.so)
                                                 #4  0x00007fbb37802345 n/a
(libglib-2.0.so.0)
                                                 #5  0x00007fbb33272454
start_thread (libpthread.so.0)
                                                 #6  0x00007fbb32fb57df
__clone (libc.so.6)

                                                 Stack trace of thread
27941:
                                                 #0  0x00007fbb32fac48d
poll (libc.so.6)
                                                 #1  0x00007fbb377dc066 n/a
(libglib-2.0.so.0)
                                                 #2  0x00007fbb377dc17c
g_main_context_iteration (libglib-2.0.so.0)
                                                 #3  0x00007fbb377dc1c1 n/a
(libglib-2.0.so.0)
                                                 #4  0x00007fbb37802345 n/a
(libglib-2.0.so.0)
                                                 #5  0x00007fbb33272454
start_thread (libpthread.so.0)
                                                 #6  0x00007fbb32fb57df
__clone (libc.so.6)

                                                 Stack trace of thread
10343:
                                                 #0  0x00007fbb2db4856e
futex_wait (libgomp.so.1)
                                                 #1  0x00007fbb2db45d70
gomp_thread_start (libgomp.so.1)
                                                 #2  0x00007fbb33272454
start_thread (libpthread.so.0)
                                                 #3  0x00007fbb32fb57df
__clone (libc.so.6)

                                                 Stack trace of thread
10342:
                                                 #0  0x00007fbb2db4856e
futex_wait (libgomp.so.1)
                                                 #1  0x00007fbb2db45d70
gomp_thread_start (libgomp.so.1)
                                                 #2  0x00007fbb33272454
start_thread (libpthread.so.0)
                                                 #3  0x00007fbb32fb57df
__clone (libc.so.6)

                                                 Stack trace of thread
28149:
                                                 #0  0x00007fbb32fac48d
poll (libc.so.6)
                                                 #1  0x00007fbb377dc066 n/a
(libglib-2.0.so.0)
                                                 #2  0x00007fbb377dc3f2
g_main_loop_run (libglib-2.0.so.0)
                                                 #3  0x00007fbb37dd77c6 n/a
(libgio-2.0.so.0)
                                                 #4  0x00007fbb37802345 n/a
(libglib-2.0.so.0)
                                                 #5  0x00007fbb33272454
start_thread (libpthread.so.0)
                                                 #6  0x00007fbb32fb57df
__clone (libc.so.6)

                                                 Stack trace of thread
10341:
                                                 #0  0x00007fbb2db4856e
futex_wait (libgomp.so.1)
                                                 #1  0x00007fbb2db45d70
gomp_thread_start (libgomp.so.1)
                                                 #2  0x00007fbb33272454
start_thread (libpthread.so.0)
                                                 #3  0x00007fbb32fb57df
__clone (libc.so.6)

                                                 Stack trace of thread
10338:
                                                 #0  0x00007fbb2db4856e
futex_wait (libgomp.so.1)
                                                 #1  0x00007fbb2db45d70
gomp_thread_start (libgomp.so.1)
                                                 #2  0x00007fbb33272454
start_thread (libpthread.so.0)
                                                 #3  0x00007fbb32fb57df
__clone (libc.so.6)

                                                 Stack trace of thread
10344:
                                                 #0  0x00007fbb2db4856e
futex_wait (libgomp.so.1)
                                                 #1  0x00007fbb2db45d70
gomp_thread_start (libgomp.so.1)
                                                 #2  0x00007fbb33272454
start_thread (libpthread.so.0)
                                                 #3  0x00007fbb32fb57df
__clone (libc.so.6)

                                                 Stack trace of thread
10339:
                                                 #0  0x00007fbb2db4856e
futex_wait (libgomp.so.1)
                                                 #1  0x00007fbb2db45d70
gomp_thread_start (libgomp.so.1)
                                                 #2  0x00007fbb33272454
start_thread (libpthread.so.0)
                                                 #3  0x00007fbb32fb57df
__clone (libc.so.6)

                                                 Stack trace of thread
10340:
                                                 #0  0x00007fbb2db4856e
futex_wait (libgomp.so.1)
                                                 #1  0x00007fbb2db45d70
gomp_thread_start (libgomp.so.1)
                                                 #2  0x00007fbb33272454
start_thread (libpthread.so.0)
                                                 #3  0x00007fbb32fb57df
__clone (libc.so.6)
-- Subject: Process 27940 (emacs) dumped core
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
-- Documentation: man:core(5)
-- 
-- Process 27940 (emacs) crashed and dumped core.
-- 
-- This usually indicates a programming error in the crashing program and
-- should be reported to its vendor as a bug.